Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Tacoma Brewery Crawl 2015!!!

John and me outside of Wingman Brewers
A little over two weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to escape all responsibility and obligation for a cool 48 hours and spend a weekend in Tacoma, Washington, hanging out with two of my oldest friends, hitting a few local breweries, and drinking way too much beer.  I never wanted it to end.  All that being said, and to avoid getting all mushy about my buddies, let’s get on to the brews!

----------

Puget Sound Porter
Harmon Brewery & Eatery
After a morning jaunt to the car museum in Tacoma (which was awesome by the way), our first brewery of the day was Harmon Brewery & Eatery, a brewpub where we loaded up on greasy, delicious food and wetted our whistles on their straightforward selection of brews.  No frills here, just good beer.  My flight consisted of five beers, the Mt Takhoma Blonde Ale, Pinnacle Peak Pale Ale, Brown’s Point ESB, Point Defiance IPA, and the Puget Sound Porter, my favorite of the bunch…so much so that I had to get another pint just to be sure.

Visit the brewers.

Beer flight at Wingman Brewers
Wingman Brewers
With our bellies full, we headed to Wingman Brewers, a facility that felt the most like a brewery to me, as there was an industrial feel to the whole thing.  This joint was probably my favorite of the afternoon, and my flight consisted of the P-51 Porter, Big Baby Flat Top Imperial Stout, Maple Hazelnut Big Baby Flat Top Imperial Stout, Doppelbock, Ace IPA, and a guest tap featuring the Salted Caramel Stout from Portland’s Breakside Brewery.  Everything here was high-flavor, high-hops, high-alcohol, and I easily could have spent all afternoon just sipping away.  My favorite beer from Wingman was probably their Ace IPA, though that Salted Caramel Stout on the guest tap was absolutely delicious…a beer I could drink all night.

Visit the brewer.

Visit the guest brewer.

Beer flight at Odd Otter Brewing
Odd Otter Brewing
And then we got to Odd Otter…and that’s where things got interesting…and kind of drunk.  This brewery likes to experiment, and some of their concoctions seem off the wall, but taste fantastic, and they’re like nothing else.  My flight consisted of the Coconut Chai Porter, Poppa Otter’s Bacon Breakfast Stout, Momma Otter’s Pancake Porter, Jolly Otter ESB, Otter Nonsense IPA, and the Ottermellon Hefeweizen.  I also managed to get a taste of their Bacchus Blonde, a blonde ale aged in pinot noir barrels.  My favorite of the bunch was probably the Jolly Otter ESB, but that may just be because my taste buds were fried, and it was the simplest.  Anyway, the Odd Otter is a very cool place…you should go.

Visit the brewer.

Pacific Brewing & Malting Co.
As things were getting hazy by the time we hit our fourth and last brewery (though we had originally intended to do one more), I decided to lay off the beer flights and just settle for a good pint instead.  Pacific’s fine selection actually made my decision kind of difficult, but seeing as I had spent most of the day imbibing the darker stuff, I went for the Grit City Porter, a dark full-bodied brew that went down way smoother than it had any right to.  The taproom was bright, airy, and friendly, and…maybe we should have started here.  Also, this is where my phone died, so no pictures.

Visit the brewer.

----------

Ace IPA insignia
And after that we were done.  Well, not actually done, as we went to grab some dinner, and then went to some place called Dorky’s…where I had another Ace IPA!  And then there was the Sunday morning drinking before heading to the airport, but that’s another story.

So, get to Tacoma.  They have beer there.

No comments:

Post a Comment